The Women Preached it First

I've engaged in more than one argument about women in ministry, the ordination of women, and about gender roles in general. I usually like to think of myself as a feminist or at least as an advocate for women in a chauvinist society. In those arguments I like to point out, if only as an anecdote, that it was the women who first proclaimed the good news of Christ's resurrection. Well, the United Church of Christ (which happens to be the denomination of which I a currently a part) has recently released a pretty cool video pointing out this very fact.... I thought it was at least worth sharing.

"He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. (Matthew 28 6-8)

Comments

It can be tough to be the only one holding an unpopular opinion. Especially in your context, I think your biblical "anecdote" carries major weight in the discussion.

Mary Magdalene (in John, or the two Marys in Matthew, or both Marys and several other women in Luke) did "preach the resurrection" to the (male) disciples hiding in the Upper Room.

Also in John's Gospel, the Samaritan woman at the well is a preacher and evangelist, converting her entire village.

And at the end of Romans, Paul greets a number of people, using terms for many of the women that identify them as "apostles" on a par with Paul himself (if one compares the original Greek).

If the Gospel makes us uncomfortable, it's a sign of its truth and relevance....

A blessed Easter to you, my friend!