understand your neighbor

Do you ever get lonely? There are many people who act as if the only friend they need is God. I have trouble with this idea.

Christians even tell stories of lonesomeness, How does this work? We’re never alone with God right? If you’re a Christian it’s absurd to be lonely, you must be having faith issues, you must be placing your values in the wrong place. I don’t think that’s true. God created man to be relational.

I’ve talked about God being relational but I don’t think I’ve talked about people being relational. If you’re lonely, or feel misunderstood, it’s probably not because you’re “lost” or need to pray more or do “devotionals” more. You probably just need someone to care. And it’s often hard to go to certain people when you’re in need of a listener isn’t it? I am a prime example of a bad listener. When people come to me I try to solve their problems or try to tell them they need to do something.

People have a natural need to be heard, and understood. People are naturally dependant on other people. It’s hard for us to go to certain people with our problems because we know exactly what they’ll say.

I’ve had questions in the past that I used to try to take to my youth pastor but every time I asked these questions I felt looked down upon. I was given the same old Sunday school answer I already knew and ended up feeling completely misunderstood and alone in my intellectual search. It was not enough to be understood by God I needed people to be there for me not with the answers I already know and not with counterfeit sympathy. I needed someone to simply make an effort to understand my questioning.

So when people come to you with their problems and tell you that they feel lonely what do you do? Do you pretend like you have all the answers? Do you stop and think “this person needs me?” people need to be heard. Listen to them.

Loneliness is not a product of misplaced value or lack of faith but one of negligent human response to emotion.

Life of a person is to be lived with people. With relationships of understanding. Make an effort to truly understand the people around you. This is more important than your work, your studies, even reading your bible in the morning. I’ve heard it said that a love for people comes from a love for God… maybe it’s the other way around. Or maybe they’re pretty much the same thing.



Matthew 22:37-40 37Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Comments

I began blogging mainly because I needed to be heard. One of my first posts was "no one listens to me"
I talk alot, most teachers do, but it seems when i have something really important (to me) to say, no one is out there. And I feel lonely sometimes becasue I am such a "nice" person, kind of the pollyanna type, and if I'm done in the dumps, no one seems to notice.
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knowth God, he that Loveth not, knowth not God, for God is love...beloved, let us love one another. I John 4:7,8
Kate said…
Thanks for listening. 1 Cor 12:18
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.